More than being inherently harmonious, can a vineyard be beautiful too? Can it be precious, stylish and rare, capable of fusing architecture and landscape? That’s what Ferdinand IV of the House of Bourbon must have asked himself when, only a short distance from the Royal Palace of Caserta, between the mountains of San Silvestro and Belvedere di San Leucio, he ordered the creation of the "Vigna del Ventaglio" or Fan-Shaped Vineyard in his own gardens. As it was described in 1826, "a semicircle divided into ten sections, resembling the fan from which it took its name. Each section, fanning out from the centre - where there is a small entry gate - contains a different species of grapevine". In the ten sections were equally different qualities of grape, all from the Reign of the Two Sicilies. Only two were from Campania, in particular from Caserta: Pallagrello Bianco and Pallagrello Nero.
At the time they were given the names ‘Piedimonte Bianco’, ‘Piedimonte Rosso’, after their place of origin. Another text reads “The wines of this district are excellent, both white and red, and are the best in the reign for their quality and nature, as well as for the pleasing sensation they leave on the palate. They go by the name of Pallarelli". Hit by the scourge of phylloxera, and, as was the destiny of a large part of Campania’s native vine species, Pallagrello was set aside at the beginning of the 20th century in favour of more productive and resistant plants, until they were rediscovered by Peppe Mancini.